1. To keep your carpets in good condition vacuum them frequently and thoroughly. Most of the wear on caprpets is caused by dirt. Oily soils attract more oily soil and frequent vacuuming will reduce soil buildup.
2. Get at carpet stains quickly, 99% of all stains can be removed by one cleaning agent or another if they are cleaned in the first few days. The longer a stain chemically reacts with the carpet the harder it will be to remove it.
3. Test your carpet before scrubbing, extracting or spotting. Every carpets is different. Some carpets are very sensitive to acid type cleaners and will lose their color quickly. Other carpet dyes are sensitive to harsh alkalis.
4. Use appropriate spotters starting with the mildest. Do not use harsh spotting agents unless absolutely necessary and always neutralize high alkaline or high acid cleaners after use.
5. Never dig or brush spots on your carpet. The proper procedure is to scrape the spot towards the middle and then tamp the spot into the white towel or cloth using a brush or other tamping devices. A meat tenderizer makes a great tamping tool for cleaning your carpet..
6. Do not overuse detergents, shampoos or spotters. Too much detergent will result in residual left in the carpet that even thorough vacuuming may not remove. This may affect the appearance and texture of your carpet.
7. Do not overwet carpet. Over-wetting can cause brownout, carpet shrinkage, adhesion problems and all other kinds of disasters which can affect the appearance of your carpet.
8. Extract residual if possible. Rotary scrubbing will clean the carpet fibres the best by encapsulating dirt and detergent residue, which powders off the carpet. Periodic extraction will flush out this dirt and other organisms deep in the carpet.
9. Never "coat" a dirty or spotty carpet. After scrubbing or extracting a dirty carpet, if you are not satisfied with the results, do not apply a coat of carpet protector as this will result in "gluing in the dirt" making it harder to remove it the next time. Either re-scrub or extract the carpet or leave the carpet until the next cleaning cycle before you coat.
10. Vacuum your carpets frequently and thoroughly. This is so important it needs to be said twice!
For the perfect carpet ensure you keep in mind the above guidelines and your carpet should last a lifetime.